It's often that love poems are written about unrequited or ephemeral loves. Such passion and fervor goes into each word, each line, each stanza, in which its audience's emotional response compounds exponentially until its end.
I had an attraction or infatuation in the past with a certain acquaintance who comes from a country known for poets. He was no stranger to writing, especially with respects to love. When I met him he was pining over a lost love. The effort and words he placed into writing a book of poetry about their romance from its beginning to end captivated me.
But I realize now that it was not the person I had an attraction to, but the concept that someone (a guy no less) can love someone so intensely. As a girl, you would want to think someone sometime in your life would feel this way about you (maybe it's just me). You read of these loves, probably most famous of all is Romeo and Juliet, but until knowing him I never knew of anyone who could. Not even me who loves being in love. But perhaps, after a period of time I and many others have just forgotten how it was at each beginning.
It's the intense attraction and longing in the beginning of the relationship. Especially when the relationship is plagued by a distance or other obstacles are such poems written. But regardless of how anyone may deny it or not, the beginning of a love relationship is, just that, the intense attraction. And regardless of how the relationship ends, you can not deny the initial passion of it.
I don't know if we can call it entirely love, but definitely the mixture of love and lust. The highs only last so long, that's why most of the love poems are written about unrequited or ephemeral loves. If these loves lasted a few more years, or if obstacles never plague the writer, the poems probably would have never been written.
That's just my thought and justification. And my path to freeing myself from such a pathetic fairytale induced notion that loves need to be passionate throughout its course. Recently I saw someone write about how a guy should treat a girl, some of it are complete excrement, but perhaps, the M*** a few years ago would probably have agreed. But, all in all, peace of mind and happiness is all I wish for.

No comments:
Post a Comment